Equatorial Guinea have qualified for their first world cup finals not without some controversy, with Nigeria accusing them of playing men masquerading as women; that storm blew over but there have been grave concerns that since qualifying they have been naturalizing women from other countries so they will have a stronger line up at the World Cup Finals.
Equatorial Guinea not only hosted the African qualifiers a surprise in itself, but won them.
Here is a little information on the country few have heard of:
- A former Spanish colony comprising a tiny set of islands and land close to the coasts of Cameroon and Gabon with a population of around 600,000 people.
- It has massive oil income that the UN has equated to a GDP per capita higher than that of Italy or Bahrain (at $30,627).
- However its human poverty index is worse than Haiti it has been estimated that “60 percent of its population lives on less than US$1 a day”).
- This extreme discrepancy is usually attributed to corruption. In this case many fingers point accusingly at the dictatorial ruling family—whose son Teodoro Obiang has been known to buy a $35 million mansion in Malibu and paying $700,000 for a spin on a yacht to impress sometime girlfriend/rapper Eve.
- You may remember the problems of the ruling family even emboldened a group of mercenary South African plotters with few local connections,linked to to Margaret Thatcher’s son Mark, to attempt a (failed) coup in 2004.
Judging by the team’s performance at the World Youth Games last year where they made the final maybe they should turn to youth.
Australia has never played Equatorial Guinea and they are at the moment an unknown quantity.